Medical Records

Wedowee Hospital can provide you a copy of your health information. Wedowee Hospital does not charge a fee for information requested by your physician for continuity of care. However, Wedowee Hospital does charge $1.00 per page for the first 25 pages and $0.50 per page for the remaining pages to anyone other than you physician requesting medical records.

To request a copy of your medical information, please complete the Wedowee Hospital Authorization to Release Patient Health Information form at the link below. We will need the following information in order to process your request:

  • Personal identification (photo ID) to verify that you are the person (or a legally authorized representative) entitled to the release of the information
  • Name and birth date
  • Name of provider or organization authorized to release the information
  • Name of the person or organization to whom Wedowee Hospital may release the information
  • Description of specific information to be released
  • Purpose or need for the information
  • Signature of the individual (patient or legally authorized representative) and date

Please print the form (click on the link below) and either bring it to the Wedowee Hospital or mail it to:

Wedowee Hospital
Medical Records Department
P. O. Box 307
Wedowee, AL 36278

You may send you request by fax to 256-357-2111. Wedowee Hospital Medical Records office hours are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Records are usually available within 7 to 10 business days from the time the request is made. If you have any questions, you may call us at 256-357-2111 Ext 3121.

Medical Records Request Form (English)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

How can I get a copy of my medical records?

To get a copy of your medical records, you must complete the Wedowee Hospital Disclosure Authorization form. Download and print the form or obtain a copy from our office.

A few important notes:

  • The patient must sign the authorization form.
  • Signatures other than the patient’s must have documentation of authority to sign. A valid ID is also required.
  • You can return the completed, signed form in person, by fax, or by mail. If you mail or fax the form, you must also send a copy of your valid ID.

Please allow 7 to 10 business days for processing.

What if my physician wants me to get x-ray films/CDs?

If your physician requests you bring your images and results with you to your appointment, please allow 24 hours notice. X-ray files/CDs should be picked up in the Radiology Department.

Do I have to sign an authorization?

Yes. Law requires your written request. The request must be signed and dated within the past year unless otherwise indicated.

Please note that you may revoke your authorization, in writing, at any time. This would not apply to any information already released.

Do I need to bring in a photo ID when picking up medical records?

Yes, you will need this information in order to obtain your records.

Do I have to pay for copies?

There is a charge to cover the photocopying costs. Wedowee Hospital does not charge a fee for information requested by your physician for continuity of care. However, Wedowee Hospital does charge $1.00 per page for the first 25 pages and $0.50 per page for the remaining pages to anyone other than you physician requesting medical records.

Do you accept faxed authorizations from other healthcare facilities?

Authorizations from other facilities or physicians: Yes, as long as they are legible and they contain the required information in a valid authorization, which is:

  • Patient’s full name and date of birth.
  • Name of the organization from which records are being requested.
  • Name and address of the organization or person to receive the record.
  • Specific information to be sent such as type of documents/reports needed, dates of treatment or medical condition.

*Please Note: Drug and alcohol abuse treatment records, mental health records and/or HIV/AIDs information cannot be disclosed unless specifically authorized.

  • Purpose for which the information may be disclosed.
  • Expiration date or event.
  • Signature of the patient or the patient’s legal representative. If the patient’s person representative signs the authorization, the supporting legal documentation must be provided.
  • Date the form is signed.

Does my family physician get copies of my medical records?

If your family physician is your attending physician while you are in the hospital, he or she will receive access to and copies of pertinent reports. (An attending physician is the physician primarily responsible for your care while you are in the hospital.) If your attending physician is not your family physician, your family physician may not automatically get copies of your reports. He or she may get discharge instructions and related medication information. In addition, although the attending physician usually directs that copies of discharge summaries be sent to your family physician, this is generally addressed on a case-by-case basis.

How do I have someone else pick up my medical records for me?
There are two ways to facilitate a third-party pick-up:

  • On the signed authorization form, specify that your records can be released to that person.
  • Provide a letter with your signature, the date and authorization for this person to pick up your records. We must be able to confirm that it is actually your signature so please send a copy of your photo ID with signature. We must able be able to confirm the identity of the person picking up your records. So, they should also be prepared to show a photo ID.

How can my spouse get my medical records?

To obtain your medical records, your spouse must have valid authorization – signed by your or your legal representative – specifying that your medical records may be released to him/her.

Under what circumstances can I get the records of a deceased patient?

Wedowee Hospital releases these records, upon request, to the executor of the decedent’s estate, or the informant on the death certificate. A signed release form and a Photo ID are required along with documentation that identifies the person as the executor of the estate.

Is there a number I can call with questions?

Yes, the Medical Records telephone number is 256-357-2111 Ext 3121. Medical Records is open Monday – Friday 8 AM to 4:00 PM. Service Representatives will be happy to assist you

Can a parent obtain a child’s Medical Record?

Yes, if the child is under that age of 14. If the child is over the age of 14, the child must sign a valid authorization form.

Our Location


Wedowee Hospital
209 Main Street
Wedowee, AL 36278-5139
(256) 357-2111